The International March for Elephants is less than three weeks away! Here in Houston, we are working hard on final details to make this event a great opportunity to educate the public about the ivory trade.
- Two speakers will be presenting at the event. Vice President of the Houston Zoo Wildlife Conservation Department, Peter Riger & PhD student at Rice University, Andrea Drager will be presenting on the issue of the ivory trade, the importance of elephants in the ecosystem, & ways people here in Houston & the US can get involved to help protect elephants.
- The first 125 participants will receive a goodie-bag donated by Whole Foods Market Kirby. This reusable bag will have water, snacks, information sheets, kids activity sheets, elephant bracelets donated from the Houston Zoo & more!
- At the event, there will be an opportunity for you to sponsor an orphaned elephant through the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (DSWT). There will also be a coin jar for any loose change you may have in your pockets. All coins will be donated to the DSWT.
How can you help over the next few weeks? Here are a few easy ways:
- Contact local news in Houston and tell them about this event – ask them to come out for live coverage!
- Contact your local government representatives and tell them about this event – ask them to come participate!
- Tell your friends & family to join you at City Hall October 4 from 11am-12pm!
- Become a member at the Houston Zoo to learn more about how Houston is actively participating in elephant conservation in Africa & Asia — for instance, did you know that Dr. Iain Douglas Hamilton from Save the Elephants partners with our zoo conservation department & will be coming to speak this October 6?
- Sponsor an elephant from The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust – for as little as $50 a year, you can help care for an orphaned elephant & train rangers in the field who work day and night to defend wild elephants from poachers!
- Sign our petition which will be delivered to Pope Francis on World Animal Day October 4!
- Buy a shirt and wear it no matter where you are on October 4 to help raise awareness!
- Learn these few statistics: Every 15 minutes an elephant dies from poaching. At this rate, in ten years elephants will be extinct in Africa. China is the no. 1 consumer of ivory, followed by the United States.
- Be creative & help spread the word!